History of the Emergency Centre for refugees in Padriciano
The exhibition takes place in the Padriciano's Emergency Centre compound, few kilometers far from Trieste.
The compound was initially designed as outlying structure for Allied forces quartered in the Free Territory of Trieste. Early abandoned, was readily reused to face the emergency of Italian refugees from Istria, getting heavier and heavier since the early 50s, with a maximum in the years 1954-1955.
Like it, many others military compounds were destined to emergency centers, according to the protocols which regulated the regaining of the A Zone of the Free Territory of Trieste to Italy.
The whole compound, definitively abandoned in the early 70s, is delimited by the original wall and it preserves its original structure, although the "Pasotti" wooden barracks were disrupted.
It is one of the few Emergency Centers in Italy which were not converted to other uses since they have been abandoned by refugees.
The main entrance to the Centre, located in the central zone of the compound, had a two-fence gate controlled by the Civil Police, which office was annexed to the "administration" building. The access to the Centre was not free, but strictly regulated during the day and forbidden during the night, without exceptions.
You can still see the multi-floored buildings guesting the refectory, some warehouses and administrative offices.
The well conserved buildings underwent two distinct projects of restoration, later discarded: in the years 1962-1963 the compound was thought to guest eastern Europe refugees, but the necessity to improve the housing standards brought to the abort of this project; in the 80s-90s the compound was thought to become a detached section of the city prison (on some windows are still visible the hole in which the bars had to be installed).
On the wide grassy areas visible today were located the "Pasotti" barracks. These barracks were designed by the Civlil Engineering office of Trieste, on behalf of the Allied Military Government, based on the barracks used to guest displaced people of the 1908 Messina's earthquake.
The barracks had nor heating nor tap water, were covered and insulated with asbestos shingles, whose traces are still visible in the ground.
Of the barrack's compound are still visible only the restrooms and some warehouses now used by local administration